The Half Windsor knot is an extremely versatile knot. Unlike what the name suggests, the Half Windsor knot is actually closer to three-quarters the size of the Windsor knot. The Half Windsor is medium in size, nearly symmetrical and, when tied correctly, it produces a deep and substantial dimple. Best used with neckties of a medium to light thickness.
Half Windsor Tying Instructions
- 1. Start with the wide end of the tie on the right and the small end on the left. The tip of the small end should rest slightly above your belly-button (this will vary depending on your height and the length & thickness of your tie). Only move the active (wide) end.
- 2. Wide end over the small end to the left.
- 3. Under the small end and to the right.
- 4. Up to the center, towards neck loop.
- 5. Through the neck loop and to the left.
- 6. Across the front, over to the right.
- 7. Up into the neck loop from underneath.
- 8. Down through the loop you've just created in the front.
- 9. Tighten the knot by pulling down on the wide end. Slide the knot up & adjust.